Unique Testing and Development Facilities: Helping Industry Move from Concept to Commercialization
Engineering Services at The Ohio State University Center for Automotive Research (CAR) provides high-quality engineering to industrial clients in the areas of testing and development at a competitive price. The CAR team serves a wide variety of clients spanning the entire automotive and transportation industries. Clients are offered a unique combination of:
- Professionally conducted engineering services
- Direct access to the deep knowledge base of The Ohio State University
- On-demand test support for vehicles, components and systems
- State-of-the-art testing equipment
- Collaboration with talented and passionate engineering students
Efficiency and Productivity: Less Time - Less Logistical Challenges
Today’s automotive landscape requires that testing provides a faster path to market at a competitive cost. While on-road, “real world” testing can be a good way to test new transportation technologies, it isn’t always ideal. Engineers and research and development professionals are often faced with the challenges of being able to control the testing environment. Add to this the cost and logistics of shipping vehicles or parts to testing sites, and it’s simple to see that “real world” testing has real limitations.
CAR’s engineering services offers a controlled testing environment that can be manipulated precisely to achieve goals. Located on the campus of The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, CAR works with clients to create specific laboratory conditions to test their technologies. This helps clients move out of the testing phase in a fraction of the time of on-road testing.
Less time and less logistical headaches means less money… and that’s always the goal in commercializing automotive technologies!
Facilities and Equipment: State-of-the-Art - Controlled - Customizable
Clients have access to the testing facilities at the CAR as well as The Ohio State University at large. Additionally, CAR is directly affiliated with Transportation Research Center, Inc., providing outdoor, dynamic full vehicle test facilities. The entire scope of the transportation industry testing needs can be achieved at the CAR facilities using the following testing equipment. Facilities include:
- Engine and chassis dynamometers
- Laboratories: alternative fuel and exhaust after-treatment, combustion and flow, high voltage power electronics, networking and communications; battery testing, aging and characterization facilities
- High performance computing for modeling and simulation
CAR Serves Clients Across the Automotive and Transportation Industries
- Original equipment automotive manufacturers: 10%
- Tier 1 suppliers: 14%
- Transportation industry: 14%
- Heavy duty truck manufacturers: 10%
- Other automotive equipment/technologies: 52%