- Fontana Professor, Materials Science Engineering
116 W Nineteenth Ave
Room 141 Fontana Labs
Columbus, OH 43210
Glenn S. Daehn is a Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at The Ohio State University and is designated the Mars G. Fontana Professor of Metallurgical Engineering.
His research group has been actively developing electromagnetic metal forming technologies for the past 20 years. He is one of the founding members and Chair of the International Impulse Forming Group. He also has research interests in the high temperature creep deformation of solids, the reactive processing of ceramics to create ceramic-metal composites. One long-term theme in his work is using unusual mechanics or reactions to open new paths to manufacturing processes. Daehn was named a National Young Investigator by NSF, was recipient of the Hardy Medal of TMS (1992), and named a Fellow of ASM in 2010. Daehn's academic training includes a BS from Northwestern University (1983), and MS and PhD degrees from Stanford University (1987), all in Materials Science and Engineering.
Professor Daehn has also been interested in engaging university assets to improve the local technical and economic environment. Accordingly he has been engaged in promoting the development of materials science courses in high schools; he served as the first director of the Ohio Manufacturing Institute; and will become director of the Honda-OSU partnership in April.
Innovators Award of Ohio State College of Engineering.
ASM Jacquet-Lucas Award for Excellence in Metallography.
Lumley Research Award of Ohio State University College of Engineering.
Lumley Research Award of Ohio State University College of Engineering.
Winner of conference best paper award, Ceramic Entineering and Science.
Lumley Research Award of Ohio State University College of Engineering.
Army Research Office Young Investigator Award.
Robert Lansing Hardy Gold Medal of TMS.
National Young Investigator.
ASM Marcus A. Grossmann Young Author Award.
- 2010. "Energy Field Methods and Electromagnetic Metal Forming." In Intelligent Energy Field Methods and Interdisciplinary Process Innovations, edited by Wenwu Zhang,
- 2005. "High Velocity Metal Forming." In ASM Handbook, Volume 14B, Metalworking: Sheet Forming,
- 2002. "Spot Impact Welding of Sheet Aluminum." In unstated, edited by P.J. Gregson and S. Harris,
- 1996. "Modeling of Enhanced Composite Creep and Plastic Flow in Temperature Cycling." In (invited chapter) Numerical Analysis and Modeling of Composite Materials, edited by J. W. Bull,
- 1995. "Hyperplasticity - A Competitor to Superplastic Sheet Forming?." In Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming, edited by A. K. Ghosh and T. R. Bieler,
- 1994. "Effects of Transformation and Chemistry on the Microstructure and Properties of Co Continuous Ceramic Composite Materials." In Composite Materials: Commonalty of Phenomenon, Proceedings of TMS Annual Meeting, edited by K. K. Chawla, P. K. Liaw and S. G. Fishman,
- Y. Lu, H. Song, G. A. Taber, D. R. Foster, G. S. Daehn and Wei Zhang, 2016, "In-Situ Measurement of Relative Motion during Ultrasonic Spot Welding of Aluminum Alloy using Photonic Doppler Velocimetry." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 231, 431-440 - 431-440.
- Taber, G.A.; Vivek, A.; Coffey, J.; Daehn, G.S., 2015, "Openable electromagnetic actuator as a non-contact, agile tool for crimping operations." Manufacturing Letters 5, 21-24 - 21-24.
- Brandes,M,C; Kovarik,L; Miller,M,K; Daehn,G,S; Mills,M,J, 2012, "Creep behavior and deformation mechanisms in a nanocluster strengthened ferritic steel." ACTA MATERIALIA 60, no. 4, 1827-1839 - 1827-1839.
- Shang,Jianhui; Daehn,Glenn, 2011, "Electromagnetically assisted sheet metal stamping." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 211, no. 5, 868-874 - 868-874.
- Unocic,Kinga,A; Hayes,Robert,W; Mills,Michael,J; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2010, "Microstructural Features Leading to Enhanced Resistance to Grain Boundary Creep Cracking in ALLVAC 718Plus." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 41A, no. 2, 409-420 - 409-420.
- Unocic,K,A; Mills,M,J; Daehn,G,S, 2010, "Effect of gallium focused ion beam milling on preparation of aluminium thin foils." JOURNAL OF MICROSCOPY 240, no. 3, 227-238 - 227-238.
- Fenton, G; Caipen, T; Daehn, G; Vogler, T; Grady, D, 2009, "SHOCK-LESS HIGH RATE COMPACTION OF POROUS BRITTLE MATERIALS." SHOCK COMPRESSION OF CONDENSED MATTER - 2009, PTS 1 AND 2 1195, 1337-1340 - 1337-1340.
- Johnson,Jason,R; Taber,Geoff; Vivek,Anupam; Zhang,Yuan; Golowin,Scott; Banik,Kristin; Fenton,Gregg,K; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2009, "Coupling Experiment and Simulation in Electromagnetic Forming Using Photon Doppler Velocimetry." STEEL RESEARCH INTERNATIONAL 80, no. 5, 359-365 - 359-365.
- Daehn,Glenn,S; Unocic,Kinga,A, 2008, "TEM sample preparation method for grain boundary phase identification in Al-Mg alloys." ADVANCED MATERIALS & PROCESSES 166, no. 2, 42-43 - 42-43.
- Kamal,Manish; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2007, "A uniform pressure electromagnetic actuator for forming flat sheets." JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME 129, no. 2, 369-379 - 369-379.
- Gan,Wei; Zhang,Peihui; Wagoner,Robert,H; Daehn,Glenn,S, 2006, "Effect of load redistribution in transient plastic flow." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 37A, no. 7, 2097-2106 - 2097-2106.
- S. B. Alapati, W. A. Brantley, J. M. Nussten, G. S. Daehn, T. A. Svec, J. M. Powers, W. M. Johnston, W. Gao, 2006, "Vickers hardness investigation of work-hardening in used NiTi rotary instruments." Journal of Endodontics 32, 1191-1193 - 1191-1193.
- Gan,W; Zhang,P,H; Wagoner,R,H; Daehn,G,S, 2005, "Transient plastic flow at nominally fixed structure due to load redistribution." ZEITSCHRIFT FUR METALLKUNDE 96, no. 6, 572-577 - 572-577.
- Xin,X,J; Jayaraman,P; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2003, "Investigation of yield surface of monolithic and composite powders by explicit finite element simulation." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MECHANICAL SCIENCES 45, no. 4, 707-723 - 707-723.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2003, "Observations on densification of Al-Al2O3 composite powder compacts by pressure cycling." POWDER METALLURGY 46, no. 1, 78-82 - 78-82.
- Miles,M,P; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2003, "Prediction of limit strains in superplastic materials." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 34A, no. 11, 2559-2564 - 2559-2564.
- Turner, A; Zhang, PH; Vohnout, V; Daehn, G, 2002, "Spot impact welding of sheet aluminum." ALUMINUM ALLOYS 2002: THEIR PHYSICAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES PTS 1-3 396-4, 1573-1578 - 1573-1578.
- Mills, MJ; Neeraj, T; Savage, MF; Tatalovich, J; Daehn, GS, 2002, "Deformation mechanisms during creep of titanium alloys at lower temperatures." CREEP DEFORMATION: FUNDAMENTALS AND APPLICATIONS 389-398 - 389-398.
- Fu,Y; Jiang,G; Lannutti,J,J; Wagoner,R,H; Daehn,G,S, 2002, "Effect of cyclic pressure consolidation on the uniformity of metal matrix composites." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 33, no. 1, 183-191 - 183-191.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2001, "Void filling and cluster breaking of metal-ceramic composites under pressure cycling." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 44, no. 2, 287-292 - 287-292.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Lannutti,J,J; Fu,Y; Wagoner,R,H, 2001, "Effects of lubrication and aspect ratio on the consolidation of metal matrix composites under cyclic pressure." ACTA MATERIALIA 49, no. 8, 1471-1477 - 1471-1477.
- Jiang,G; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2001, "Inclusion particle size effects on the cyclic compaction of powder composites." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 44, no. 7, 1117-1123 - 1117-1123.
- Carroll,M,C; Gouma,P,I; Mills,M,J; Daehn,G,S; Dunbar,B,R, 2000, "Effects of Zn additions on the grain boundary precipitation and corrosion of Al-5083." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 42, no. 4, 335-340 - 335-340.
- Jiang,G; Wu,W; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 2000, "Experimental and numerical investigation of idealized consolidation - Part II: Cyclic compaction." ACTA MATERIALIA 48, no. 17, 4331-4335 - 4331-4335.
- W. Wu, G. Jiang, R. H. Wagoner and G. S. Daehn, 2000, "Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Idealized Solid State Consolidation." Acta Mater 48, no. 17, 4323-4330 - 4323-4330.
- Neeraj,T; Hou,D,H; Daehn,G,S; Mills,M,J, 2000, "Phenonomenological and microstructural analysis of room temperature creep in titanium alloys." ACTA MATERIALIA 48, no. 6, 1225-1238 - 1225-1238.
- Xin,X,J; Wagoner,R,H; Daehn,G,S, 1999, "A general numerical method to solve for dislocation configurations." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 30, no. 8, 2073-2087 - 2073-2087.
- X. J. Xin, R. H. Wagoner and G. S. Daehn, 1999, "A Numerical Method to Solve for General Dislocation Configurations: The Finite Segment Method." Materials Transactions, 30A 2073-2087 - 2073-2087.
- Xin,X,J; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 1998, "Modeling the generation equilibrium, and emission of dislocations at elastically misfitted particles." ACTA MATERIALIA 46, no. 17, 6131-6144 - 6131-6144.
- X. J. Xin, R. H. Wagoner and G. S. Daehn, 1998, "Finite Segment Method for Dislocation Mechanics." Scripta Mater 39, 397-407 - 397-407.
- A. A. Tamnane, V. J. Vohnout, M. Padmanabhan, G. Fenton, V. S. Balanethiram, M. Altynova and G. S. Daehn, 1997, "Opportunities in the High Velocity Forming of Sheet Metal." Metal Forming 42-49 - 42-49.
- S. Suri, T. Neeraj, G. S. Daehn, D-H Hou, J. M. Scott, R. W. Hayes and M. J. Mills, 1997, "Mechanisms of Primary Creep in ï�¡ï€¯ï�¢ Titanium Alloys at Lower Temperatures." Materials Science and Engineering A 996-999 - 996-999.
- A.A. Tamhane, M. Padmanabhan, G. Fenton, M. Altynova and G. S. Daehn, 1997, "Opportunities in High Velocitiy Forming of Sheet Metal." Metal Forming 42-49 - 42-49.
- Xin,X,J; Daehn,G,S; Wagoner,R,H, 1997, "Equilibrium configuration of coaxial prismatic dislocation loops and related size-dependent plasticity." ACTA MATERIALIA 45, no. 5, 1821-1836 - 1821-1836.
- X. Hu, R. H. Wagoner, G. S. Daehn and S. Ghosh, 1994, "Comparison of Explicit and Implicit Finite Element Methods in the Quasistatic Simulation of Uniaxial Tension." Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering 10, 993-1003 - 993-1003.
- L. Xu and G. S. Daehn, 1994, "Allegatoring and Damage in the Cold Rolling of Spheroidized Steels." Metallurgical Transactions 25A, 589-98 - 589-98.
- X. Hu, R. H. Wagoner, G. S. Daehn and S. Ghosh, 1994, "The Effect of Inertia on Tensile Ductility." Metallurgical Transactions 25A, 2723-35 - 2723-35.
- A. L. Marasco, J. Ringnalda, M. C. Breslin, G. S. Daehn and H. L. Fraser, 1993, "Transformation Kinetics and Properties of Co-Continuous Ceramic Composites." TMS
- H. Zhang, G. S. Daehn and R. H. Wagoner, 1991, "Simulation of the Plastic Response of Whisker Reinforced Metal-Matrix Composites Under Thermal Cycling Conditions." Scripta Metallurgica 25, 2279-84 - 2279-84.
- Y. C. Chen, G. S. Daehn and R. H. Wagoner, 1990, "The Potential for Forming Metal Matrix Composites Via Thermal Cycling." Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia 24, 2157-2162 - 2157-2162.
- G. S. Daehn, H. Zhang, R. H. Wagoner, 1990, "The Temperature-Cycling Deformation of Particle Reinforce Metal Matrix Composites -- A Finite Study." Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia 24, 2151-2155 - 2151-2155.
Papers in Proceedings
- G. Fenton, G. S. Daehn, G. Taber, T. Vogler, and D. Grady "Dynamic Characterization of Granular Materials." in Proceedings of Society of Engineering Mechanics. (6 2009).
- J. R. Johnson, G. K. Fenton, G. Taber, A. Vivek and G. S. Daehn "High Strain Rate Constitutive Relations and Ductility Parameters via Electromagnetic Launch and Velocimetry." in Proceedings International Deep Drawing Research Group, Golden CO. (1 2009).
- Y. Zhang, P. L’Eplattenier, G. Taber, A. Vivek, G. S. Daehn and S. Babu "Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study for Magnetic Pulse Welding Process on AA6061-T6 and Cu101 Sheet." in 10th International LS-DYNA Users Conference. (1 2008).
- I. Henchi, P. L’Eplattenier, G. S. Daehn, Y. Zhang, A. Vivek and N. Stander "Material Constitutive Parameter Identification Using an Electromagnetic Ring Expansion Experiment Coupled with LS-DYNA and LS-OPT." in 10th International LS-DYNA Users Conference. (1 2008).
- P. Jimbert, I. Eguia, M. A. Gutierrez, B. Gonzalez, G. S. Daehn, Y. Zhang, R. Andersson, H. Sundberg, S. O. Olsson, P. Brännström "Flanging and Hemming Auto Body Panels using Electromagetic Forming." in Proceedings of Third International Conference on High Speed Forming. (1 2008).
- P. Jimbert et. al. "Hemming of Aluminum Sheet Panels Using the Electromagnetic Forming Technology." in Proceedings from IDDRG 2007. (5 2007).
- G.S. Daehn "Agile Sheet Metal Forming: Basic Concepts and the Role of Electromagnetic Metal Forming." in Proceedings from IDDRG 2007. (5 2007).
- M. Kamal, V. Cheng, T.K. Sue, J. Shang and G.S. Daehn "Replication of Microfeatures by Electromagnetic Launch and Impact." in Proceeding from International Conference on Micromanufacturing. (9 2006).
- E. Iriondo, B. Gonzalez, M. Gutierrez, V. Vonhout, G. Daehn, B. Hayes "Electromagnetic Springback Reshaping." in Proceedings from 2nd Annual ICHSF 2006. (1 2006).
- P. Jimbert, A. Arroyo, I. Eguia, J. I. Fernandez, E. Silveria, I Garuz and G. S. Daehn "Efficiency Improvement and Analysis of Microstructure Associated with Use of a Uniform Pressure Actuator." in Proceedings from 2nd Annual ICHSF 2006. (3 2006).
- E. Iriondo, B. González, M. A. Gutiérrez, G. S. Daehn "New Approach for Springback Correction: Electromagnetic Impulses." in Proceedings from the International Conference New Developments in Sheet Metal Forming. (5 2006).
- Manish Kamal, Vincent Cheng, John Bradley, Steve Hatkevich, Glenn S. Daehn "Design, Construction, and Applications of the Uniform Pressure Electromagnetic Actuator." in Proceedings from 2nd Annual ICHSF 2006. (3 2006).
- Edurne Iriondo, Beátriz Gonzalez, Iñaki Eguia, Marian Gutiérrez, Glenn Daehn "Experimental Study of Spingback Elimination Using Electromagnetic Forming." in Proceedings from the 2005 DDRG: Conference. (6 2005).
- V.J. Vohnout, J Shang, G.S. Daehn "Improved Formability by Control of Strain Distribution in Sheet Stamping Using Electromagnetic Impulses." in Proceedings from ICHSF. (3 2004).
- I. Eguia, P. Zhang, G.S. Daehn "Improved Crimp-joining of Aluminum Tubes onto Mandrels with Undulating Surfaces." in Proceedings from ICHSF. (3 2004).
- Li,D; Brantley,W,A; Mitchell,J,C; Daehn,G,S; Monaghan,P; Papazoglou,E "Fatigue studies of high-palladium dental casting alloys: Part 1. Fatigue limits and fracture characteristics." in 30th Annual Meeting of the American-Association-of-Dental-Research. (4 2002).
- A. Turner, P. Zhang, V.J. Vohnout and G.S. Daehn "Spot Impact Welding of Sheet Aluminum." in Materials Science Forum; Proceedings of the 8th International Conference ICAA8. (7 2002).
- N. Thirumalai, M.F. Savage, M. J. Mills and G. S. Daehn "Primary Creep in Polycrystalline Alpha-Titanium: Coupled Observations and a Stochastic Cellular Automaton Model." in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Creep and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures. (1 2001).
- V. J. Vohnout, G. S. Daehn and R. Shivpuri "A Hybrid Quasi-Static-Dynamic Process for Increased Limiting Strains in the Forming of Large Sheet Aluminum Parts." in Advanced Technology of Plasticity, Proceedings of the 6th ICTP Conf.. (1 1999).
- M.C. Carroll, M. J. Mills G. S. Daehn, P. I. Gouma, M. F. Savage and B. R. Dunbar "Effects of Minor Sc and Zr Additions on Commercial Al-Mg-Mn Alloys." in TMS Proceedings: Aluminum Alloys for Automotive Applications. (1 1999).
- Glenn S. Daehn, G. B. Viswanathan, Michael J. Mills and V. K. Vasudevan "A Model of Creep Based on Interacting Elements and its Application to the Primary Creep of Fully-Lamellar -TiAl." in Creep and Creep Resistant Materials for the 21st Century. (1 1999).
- L. Ceschini, M.C. Breslin, G.S. Dahen, G.L. Garagnani, G. Poli "Tribiological behaviour of Al-20%Si/Al2O3 high reinforcement content composites produced by a displacement reaction." in Proceedings of ECCM-8 (European Conference on Composite Materials), Napoli, 3-6 giugno. (1 1998).
- M. C. Breslin, J. Ringnalda, J. Seeger, A. L. Marasco, G. S. Daehn and H. L. Fraser "Alumina/Aluminum Co-Continuous Ceramic Composites Produced by Solid-Liquid Displacement Reactions: Processing Kinetics and Microstructures." in Ceramic Entineering and Science Proceedings. (1 1994).
- T. C. Lowe, P. Follansbee, T. Rollett, and G. S Daehn eds., "Modeling the Deformation of Crystalline Solids, Physical Theory, Application and Experimental Comparisons." in New Orleans. (1 1991).
- G. S. Daehn "Effects of Environmental and Microstructrural Variables on the Plastic Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites Under Changing Temperature Concitions." in Proceedings -- ASTM Symposium on Thermal and Mechanical Behavior of Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites. (1 1988).
- John, R. Bradley, James G. Schroth and Glenn S. Daehn. "Electromagetic Formation of Fuel Cell Plates." Patent number: U.S. Patent 7,076.981
- G. S. Daehn. "“Electromagnetic Metal Forming” (Uniform Pressure Actuator." Patent number: U. S. Patent, 2,069,756
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout and A. Tamhane. "Electromagnetic actuator, method of use and article made therefrom." Patent number: U. S. Patent 5,860,306
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout, L. DuBois. "Hybrid matched tool-electromagnetic forming apparatus incorporating electromagnetic actuator." Patent number: U.S. Patent 6,047,582
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout and L. DuBois. "Hybrid matched tool-electromagnetic forming apparatus." Patent number: U. S. Patent 6,050,120
- G. S. Daehn and V. J. Vohnout. "Hybrid methods of forming using electromagnetic forming." Patent number: U.S. Patent 6,050,121
- G. S. Daehn, V. J. Vohnout and E. A. Herman. "Hybrid matched tool forming methods." Patent number: U. S. Patent 6,085, 562
- G. S. Daehn and Vincent J. Vohnout. "Hybrid Matched Tool-Hydraulic Forming Methods." Patent number: U.S. Patent 6,227, 023
- G. S. Daehn. "High Velocity Forming of Local Features Using a Projectile." Patent number: U. S. Patent 7,000,300
- Glenn S. Daehn. "Electromagnetic Actuator for Multiple Operations." Patent number: PCT Applicaton: PCT/US08/61066
- Glenn D. Daehn and John C. Lippold.. "Low Temperature Spot Impact Welding Driven Without Contact." Patent number: PCT Application: PCT/US09/36499
- John R. Bradley and Glenn S. Daehn. "Driver Plate for Electromagnetic Forming of Sheet Metal." Patent number: US Patent Application 2009/0090162
- M. C. Carroll, M. J. Mills, R. G. Buchheit, G. S. Daehn, B. Morere, P. Kobe, and H. S. Goodrich. "5000 series alloys with improved corrosion properties and methods for their manufacture and use." Patent number: US Patent Application 10/628579